Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Hangin’ with Gwynnie


Once a week or so Gwyneth Paltrow sends me an E-mail.

She has a new web site called GOOP. I haven’t quite wrapped my head around the name yet, but the long and short of it is that she send little tips out for things to do cook and make. Call it lifestyle tips from the anti Martha. If you were ever curious about what “Uber expensie” ( that was for you Hassan!) boutique hotel to book while you are in Paris, Gwyneth has rushed to the rescue with recommendations from her own and fortunate friends travels. These days she is hanging out in the kitchen with celeb chef Mario Battali and various other unexpected characters.

It would be easy to look up our noses at Gwyneth and her blessed life style. But let’s face it, how many celebrities are staying out of the tabloids and attempting to lead productive and fulfilling lives while suffering the burden of never having to worry about money again? Far too many are marinating in their own fabulous vapidity or working their way around the United Nations child collecting. Nevertheless, rich people deserve our compassion, too. I applaud Gwyneth for sharing parts of herself that are creative and useful.

I am feeling particularly close to Gwyneth this week because….Three years ago, my car was rear ended by two cars and I have had pain in my neck ever since. So yesterday I tried Acupuncture for the first time. Wow. I had a needle placed in my “third eye” and various other places, but the most impressive thing that happened was the cupping. This is an Eastern treatment method that uses suction to increase localized circulation to help with pain and muscle strain. Evidence left are large polka dots that resemble hickeys all over my back. Nice. The process was fascinating and I am anxious to feel some relief after a series of treatments. Apparently I have a lot of fire and stress. Hmmm.

An interesting side note is that I used to be called to do child abuse investigations at day care centers that had Vietnamese children whose grandmothers had done cupping or coining to draw out toxins and other negative things when they were sick. I remember trying to explain this cultural practice to daycare providers and how they were so aghast. That thought kept going through my mind as I lay there voluntarily having my petechia imploded and I thinking about how we all benefit from a poke in the third eye once in a while. Maybe it will improve our vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog. Your comments are welcome. Canadian manners encouraged!